Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Capital Health.
Your role as a volunteer can be as basic, and as important, as just being a friend to a patient in the trying days of illness. You can read more about our Volunteer Services in our newsletters.
Some of the volunteer opportunities at Capital Health:
- Volunteers supplement employees by transporting patients, providing escort service, and comforting and entertaining patients within the hospital through the Concierge Program, the Art Program, the Tea Cart program and other areas as needed.
- Volunteers work at the Information Desks, providing visitors with information and assistance as needed.
- Volunteers work with staff in the same-day surgery area, offering patients assistance and comfort as needed.
- Volunteers supplement the paid staff in such service areas as the gift shops, the mailroom, building management, dietary, and the storerooms.
- Pet Therapy volunteers visit patients throughout the hospital with their specially trained friends who comfort both patients and staff daily.
- Our Junior Volunteers Program offers students the opportunity to work in a service capacity with patients, hospital visitors, and health care professionals. Our goal is to provide a rewarding experience for our junior volunteers while educating them about the health care field.
You can make a difference by providing friendliness and compassion to our patients and their families. As a volunteer you have the opportunity to enrich your life with new experiences, meet new people, and learn new skills while knowing your time and talent make a difference in our community.
Adult Volunteer requirements include:
- Complete Adult Volunteer application
- In-person interview
- Commitment to a minimum of 100 hours of volunteer time annually; volunteers need to work a minimum of three consecutive months and one four-hour shift.
- Two personal references
- A background check (completed after your interview)
- A two-step TB screening, performed by Capital Health at no charge (Note: 2 TB tests must be given 1-3 weeks apart)
- An orientation and training
Junior Volunteer (15-18) requirements include:
- Complete Junior Volunteer application form online
- Commitment of hours and weeks varies by program
- Submit reference letter (must be completed by school guidance counselor)
- Complete medical documentation/health screening. A two-step TB screening is required (Note: 2 TB tests must be given 1-3 weeks apart)
- Two references letters
- Inoculation records
- An orientation and training
Click here to read more about our Junior Volunteer Summer Program.
Please be aware that we do not offer any internship or shadowing opportunities for adults, students or juniors.
Applying to be a volunteer
Once you submit an application, you will be contacted for an interview to discuss the opportunities that are available and how they may match your talents and interests. Please note submitting the wrong application (adult versus junior program) may delay our reply to your application.
Adult Volunteer Program
We have a few volunteer opportunities open for the following positions only:
Capital Health Regional Medical Center (Trenton)
Wayfinders - Provide directions to patients and guests and escorts them to their desired location.
Art Program - The Healing Hands Mobile Art Cart visits patients in their rooms, providing patients and caregivers an opportunity to use art as a means of comfort and expression to assist with their healing.
Welcome Desk – Greet all people who enter the building, providing a positive first experience. They assist the Welcome Desk staff in their role of registering visitors, calling staff, and directing families.
Patient Advocate – Visit patients in their rooms, serving as a liaison between the patient and their loved ones and the Patient Experience Department.
Gift Shop – Assist in operating the hospital gift shop.
Bumper T Clowns – Receive formal training on being a hospital volunteer clown, supporting the Healing with Humor Program.
Capital Health Medical Center - Hopewell
Musicians – Perform for patients, staff and visitors either on our piano or your own instrument.
Bumper T Clowns
Capital Thrift Store (Lawrenceville)
Our thrift store is now open at 2783 Brunswick Pike in Lawrenceville, NJ. The current store hours are Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. – 2 p.m., the first and third Sunday of the month from 12 p.m. - 4 p.m., and the first Monday of the month 4 – 7 p.m. We are actively looking for volunteers to expand our store hours. There are a range of positions available from being on the sales floor to helping behind the scenes. If you are interested in joining our amazing thrift store team, please apply on our link below.
Click here to complete our online application to volunteer at the Capital Thrift Store. Once you complete the form, click the submit button at the bottom.