In the United States, there are more than two million people who have experienced the loss of a limb. Each year, more than 185,000 amputations occur secondary to trauma, diabetes, peripheral arterial disease, and cancer.
Capital Health is well known in the region for expertise in amputee recovery and prosthesis training. Our patients have successfully returned to their lifestyles from homemaking to police work to marathon running.
We provide an individualized, comprehensive treatment program to help individuals who have experienced the loss of a limb at any level. Our goal is to maximize your functional independence.
Therapy may help you to:
- Decrease pain in residual limb
- Increase strength and flexibility
- Improve balance and coordination
- Increase endurance
- Improve mobility/walking/running skill
- Enhance confidence and independence
- Return to work and/or sport
Our therapists will design a therapy program especially for you. Therapy may include:
- Instruction in care of the limb
- Joint contracture prevention/treatment
- Gait analysis and training, including microprocessor prosthetic knees
- Exercise education
- Prosthetic training
- Cardiovascular conditioning
- Balance training
Therapy sessions are generally 2-3 times per week for 4-6 weeks. Obtain a prescription for therapy from your physician and schedule time for an evaluation so your therapist can listen to your concerns and evaluate your performance.
References: Amputee Coalition of America