Video fluoroscopy is a diagnostic technique that will allow the assessment of your swallowing function. The test assists in determining the safest diet and identifying the need for therapy. It is performed in conjunction with a moving x-ray and generally takes less than 10 minutes to perform.
Our specially trained speech-language pathologists (SLPs) collaborate with a radiologist to perform the videofluoroscopic evaluation. You will eat and drink a variety of food and liquid textures that have been mixed with tasteless barium contrast. The barium allows the food and drink to be visualized during the test. Our SLP observes and assesses your swallowing function. Our SLP reviews the results with you and/or your family/caregiver immediately following the test.
Do you have any of the following symptoms?
- Coughing and/or choking when eating and/or drinking
- Sensation of food stuck in the throat
- Sensation of things going down the wrong way when swallowing
- Difficulty managing saliva
- Recurrent pneumonia
Our SLP will evaluate your swallowing and design a program especially for you. Therapy may include:
- Swallowing strengthening and awareness exercises
- Education including special swallow techniques
- Recommendations for the safest foods/food consistencies for you
Obtain a prescription for therapy from your physician and schedule time for an evaluation so your therapist can listen to your concerns and evaluate your performance.