Board certified in pulmonary medicine, critical care medicine, and internal medicine, our pulmonologists treat a range of respiratory disorders with a concentration on the preventive care and management of chronic illnesses and conditions that include:
- Asthma - inflammation of the airways/overproduction of mucus
- Emphysema - a form of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (or COPD) usually caused by smoking
- Interstitial Lung Disease - a group of conditions indicated by a thickening of support tissue throughout the lungs
- Lung Cancer
- Chronic cough
- Shortness of breath
- Inhalation Diseases - usually caused by breathing in mineral dust like asbestos or other hazardous materials
- Suspicious Lesions on Lung Imaging
- Pulmonary Hypertension - high blood pressure in your pulmonary arteries
In addition, they work with our Center for Sleep Medicine to diagnose and manage basic forms of sleep apnea. By focusing on symptom prevention and management, our pulmonologists help you avoid unneeded hospital stays by stabilizing the otherwise progressive conditions that affect your breathing and ability to sleep.
Diagnosis and treatment
We use the following non-invasive tests to accurately diagnose your condition:
- Pulmonary function tests (breathing tests)
- Chest X-rays
- Low dose lung CT scans
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
Treatment is typically provided on an outpatient basis and can include medication, pulmonary rehabilitation, smoking cessation programs, and education to help patients avoid triggers for diseases like asthma.
For more complex pulmonary conditions, our pulmonologists may work with Dr. Diana Kolman, an interventional pulmonologist on our team who is fellowship trained in performing non-surgical endoscopic testing and procedures in the airway and chest cavity. He also works closely with referring primary care physicians, other specialists, physical and occupational therapists, and all the providers involved in your care to develop a treatment plan that addresses your specific needs.