Capital Health System is proud to be approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the New Jersey State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. This designation allows Capital health to provide continuing nursing education (CNE) credit hours for our professional development programs. In 2019, Capital Health provided 145 sessions for 46 unique programs awarding almost 9500 continuing education hours.
Capital Health also provides nurses and licensed staff the opportunity to complete contact hours and certification review courses through our partnership with Relias® CE Direct.
In 2020, Capital Health’s nursing certification rate reached 47%. We are proud of our certified nurses who exemplify nursing quality! Research has shown that certification benefits patients, hospitals and nurses by improving quality of care and patient safety, supporting nurse satisfaction and retention, and validating knowledge and competence. We support our nurses in achieving and maintaining professional certification in a variety of ways, including:
- Providing pre-paid vouchers for select exams
- Providing reimbursement for exam fees
- Contracting with Relias® CE Direct to provide free online continuing education and certification reviews
- Recognizing our certified nurses each year on Certified Nurses Day, March 19th
Capital Health has a strong commitment to advanced learning and has partnered with several area universities to provide tuition discounts for BSN, MSN, and DNP program. Partner schools include Capella University, Drexel University, Rider University, The College of New Jersey, and Thomas Edison State College. Academic affiliations are also held with many other schools allowing employees and area residents to complete clinical rotations and practicums within the various services available at Capital Health.
Capital Health offers tuition reimbursement to all full-time and part-time nurses after 90 days for BSN level programs and after 12 months for MSN and Doctoral level programs. Reimbursement is based on work status and years of employment, up to $5250.00 annually.
Nurse Residency and Mentoring Program (NRMP)
Capital Health is a proud partner in the New Jersey Collaborating Center for Nursing (NJCCN) Vizient Nurse Residency Program.
The NRMP welcomes new cohorts of newly graduated nurses each January and August.
- Transition from entry-level beginner nurses to competent professional nurses.
- Develop effective decision-making skills related to clinical judgment and performance.
- Develop leadership skills at point of care.
- Practice collaboratively with members of the interdisciplinary healthcare team.
- Develop strategies to incorporate research-based evidence into practice.
- Formulate individual career development plans.
- 15 month program
- Didactic lecture and 9 to 11 week clinical unit rotation
- Hands-on skills workshop/case studies/simulation
- Web-based modules
- Clinical preceptor-guided experience
- Multidisciplinary observation experiences
- Evidence-based practice project
- Mentor program
- Program acceptance requires a minimum two-year commitment to Capital Health in a full-time position
- Must be a BSN Graduate and NJ RN-licensed by start of program