Balance Center (Vestibular Rehabilitation)
Click here for a printable PDF flyer.
An estimated 90 million Americans (42% of the current population) experience dizziness at least once in their lifetime. If you or someone you care about experiences problems with movement-related dizziness or balance, our Balance Center (Vestibular Rehabilitation program) may help you resolve your dizziness and regain your sense of balance.
Do you notice any the following symptoms?
- A sense of spinning (vertigo)
- Imbalance (disequilibrium)
- Frequent falls
- Light and/or sound sensitivity
Therapy may help you to:
- Identify and address issues that are causing you to fall
- Improve tolerance to head/body position changes
- Improve tolerance of visually stimulating environments
- Improve balance
- Increase range of motion and muscle strength
- Return to normal daily activities
Our therapists will design a therapy program especially for you. Therapy may include:
- Positional maneuvers (Hallpike, Epley, etc.)
- Gaze stabilization exercises
- Habituation exercises
- Training in balance, coordination and gait
Therapy sessions may be as few as 2 visits for some conditions, or 1-2 times per week, up to 6 weeks for other conditions. Personalized home exercises and activities are usually given as homework. Obtain a prescription for therapy from your physician and schedule time for an evaluation so your therapist can listen to your concerns and evaluate your performance.
Herdman, S.J. & Clendaniel, R.A. Vestibular Rehabilitation 4th ed. Philadelphia: F.A. Davis Company, 2014