National Brain Tumor Center
Latest News! Capital Institute for Neurosciences Begins Clinical Trial Delivering Chemotherapy Directly to Brain Tumors Starting with Incision in Leg. Learn More.
At the National Brain Tumor Center, board certified and fellowship trained neurosurgeons
use image-guided surgery to treat tumors of the brain and spine. Our neuro-oncology team works with patients from diagnosis through treatment and follow-up care. At the Institute, our neurosurgeons treat both malignant and benign tumors of the brain and spine including acoustic schwannomas, meningiomas, pituitary tumors, pineal tumors, gliomas, and skull base tumors.
Patients may be treated through open surgery or, when appropriate, using the Cyberknife® Robotic Radiosurgery System, a non-invasive approach designed to combine pinpoint accuracy with patient comfort. CyberKnife requires no incision, and involves no pain and no recovery time. CyberKnife can be used by our neurosurgeons to treat brain and spinal tumors, arteriovenous malformations, and trigeminal neuralgia.
Capital Health is the only hospital in the area to offer this technology.
What Our National Brain Tumor Center Offers
- Treatment for primary tumors (benign and malignant) and metastatic
tumors, with treatment plans tailored to the individual patient.|
- Expertise in both surgical as well as non-surgical treatment options,
including CyberKnife® and TrueBeam™ radiosurgery, both of which are
available at Capital Health Medical Center- Hopewell.
- Surgical options including open and minimally invasive approaches
- Awake craniotomies using cortical mapping
- Minimally invasive, image-guided microscopic and endoscopic
corridor directed port surgery
- Advanced white matter imaging utilizing Diffusion Tensor Imaging
(DTI) and functional MRI (fMRI) to first map and then avoid, as
much as possible, critical areas of brain function during complex
- Weekly multidisciplinary appointments available for patients needing
comprehensive consults. Consults are led personally by Dr. Mintz and
supported by a team of oncology care experts from medical oncology,
radiation oncology, nutrition, nursing, rehabilitation services, and social
- Dedicated, “closed” Neuro ICU and Intermediate Care Unit with nurses
trained to work with, and dedicated to, our neuroscience patients.