Capital Health offers two ways for you to learn how to manage diabetes in your everyday life. Call 609.537.7081 or visit capitalhealth.org/events for more information or to register.
Diabetes Education Program
The Capital Health Diabetes Education Program is a comprehensive physician referral-based diabetes education program that empowers individuals to successfully self-manage their diabetes. The program has been recognized by the American Diabetes Association since 2005.
Combined with the care you received from your referring physician, our unique services will help you take charge of your own health under the supervision of a multidisciplinary team that includes: certified diabetes educators, registered nurses, registered dietitians, an exercise physiologist, an endocrinologist, and a pharmacist.
Our Diabetes Education Program offers day and evening programs for intense learning. We offer you the tools to better manage your diabetes with the help of your physician. Among the many benefits of participating in this program are:
- Initial assessment provided by a certified diabetes educator
- Meal planning provided by a registered dietitian
- Exercise and weight management provided by an exercise physiologist
- Overview of medications used to treat diabetes by a pharmacist
- Daily blood glucose and blood pressure monitoring
- Tips on prevention and detection of acute and chronic complications, as well as possible treatment options, based on your referring doctor’s recommendations
- Information on the psychosocial aspects of diabetes
- Interaction and support from other program participants
- Personalized progress reports sent to your referring doctor
- An eight week follow-up appointment
By participating in our program, you and those who support you have an opportunity to better understand the complications of diabetes. Our program provides individualized consultation or group sessions. Family members or significant others are encouraged to attend.
Our program is certified by the American Diabetes Association, which means that the comprehensive monitoring and education provided by our team adheres to the national standards set forth by the American Diabetes Association. Our team communicates with your referring physician who will continue to monitor your medical condition.
For those who are interested in learning more about our diabetes education program, call 609-537-7081 or see here for upcoming dates and locations.
Diabetes Education Series at the Novo Nordisk Family Resource Room
In addition to the referral-based program, informal classes are offered on a regular basis free of charge in the Novo Nordisk Family Resource Room, located at Capital Health Medical Center – Hopewell. Here is a list of some of the upcoming classes and topics.