Our Education Program
Diabetes Education at Capital Health is a comprehensive referral-based education program that empowers individuals to successfully manage their diabetes. Our educational approach is widely recognized as the best method to help you achieve optimal health-related outcomes while living with diabetes.
Combined with the care you received from your referring physician, out unique services will help you take charge of your own health under the supervision of a multidisciplinary team that includes: certified diabetes educators, registered nurses, registered dietitians, an exercise physiologist, an endocrinologist, and a pharmacist.
Diabetes Education at Capital Health offers day and evening programs for intense learning. We offer you the tools to better manage your diabetes with the help of your physician. Among the many benefits of participating in this program are:
- Initial assessment provided by a certified diabetes educator
- Meal planning provided by a registered dietitian
- Exercise and weight management provided by an exercise physiologist
- Overview of medications used to treat diabetes by a pharmacist
- Daily blood glucose and blood pressure monitoring
- Tips on prevention and detection of acute and chronic complications, as well as possible treatment options, based on your referring doctor’s recommendations
- Information on the psychosocial aspects of diabetes
- Interaction and support from other program participants
- Personalized progress reports sent to your referring doctor
- An eight week follow-up appointment
By participating in our program, you and those who support you have an opportunity to better understand the complications of diabetes. Our program provides individualized consultation or group sessions. Family members or significant others are encouraged to attend.
Our program is certified by the American Diabetes Association, which means that the comprehensive monitoring and education provided by our team adheres to the national standards set forth by the American Diabetes Association. Our team communicates with your referring physician who will continue to monitor your medical condition.
For those who are interested in learning more about our diabetes education program, contact Kelly Holmes, program coordinator, by phone at 609-896-5972 or by fax at 609-815-7189.
(Those who wish to schedule an appointment with our endocrinology doctors, please call 609-896-5970 or fax us at 609-896-5973.)