The 10th Annual Joseph Kline Pediatric Symposium
Cutting Edge Care for Pediatric Patients
This program is designed to enhance the participants’ knowledge regarding advances in cutting edge pediatric care in a community medical center. Target audience: Pediatricians, APN’s, Pediatric RN’s, ED RN’s, Case Management, Respiratory Therapist, Residents, Students (Medical school, PA’s, APN,s, Nursing).
• Describe treatment options for the pediatric patient with mild to moderate head injury
• Name clinical criteria that are associated with clinically important head injuries in children
• List current criteria and risks for imaging pediatric patients with mild to moderate head injury
• Describe the difficult balance of managing parental expectations/demands vs. evidence based guidelines
• Identify congenital heart patients in the Emergency Department (ED)
• Illustrate the appropriate tests for identifying the congenital heart defects
• Discuss the management of patients in the ED with single versus two ventricle pathology
• Discuss strategies to optimize management of patients with autism spectrum disorders in the pediatric ED and inpatient medical settings
• List the psychotropic medications currently approved for children with autism and typical indications for their utilization
• Classify the variable response children with autism may exhibit to commonly used psychotropic medications
• Review recent developments in the management of sickle cell disease
• Compare and contrast clinical criteria in the sickle cell patient for admission to the hospital and for transfer to a higher level of care
• Identify infants at increased risk for hypoglycemia and at increased risk for hypothermia
• Evaluate the degree of respiratory distress in neonates
• State presentation, causes, and initial treatment of hypovolemic, cardiogenic, and septic shock
• Demonstrate simulation techniques for establishing competency, using the Human Patient Simulator in both standardized and hybrid scenarios
Capital Health is accredited by the Medical Society of New Jersey to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Capital Health designates this live activity for a maximum of 4 AMA PRA Category I Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Capital Health System is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by New Jersey State Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation/Provider Number P122-03/10-13.
For more information, please contact: Margaret Estlow 609-303-4373 or Kathy Bayrasli 609-303-4513
Pre-registration is required. Fee is $30. (For Capital Health employees, please register here.)